I am pleased to announce that at our next city meeting we have a guest speaker, Project Manager Allan Brcic, who will tell us how his team of local residents lobbied Randwick Council in the lead-up to Council declaring a Climate Emergency.
At 7 pm we gather to hear Allan at SMSA (Sydney Mechanics School of Arts), 280 Pitt St between Bathurst St and Park St, next to bulk billing doctors and discount chemist. The room is Norman Selfe Room, Level 3 (check notice outside lift in the foyer in case of room change).
From 6 pm, all welcome to pre-meeting light meal at Cellini’s Café and Bar, Queen Victoria Building opposite Hobbyco Level 2 - look for Citizens' Climate Lobby T-shirts.
After the talk we introduce each other and, if possible, tell of any good news. Long-time members explain to newcomers how Citizens' Climate Lobby advocacy for action on climate change complements protest demonstrations.
We entertain, educate and support each other in raising public awareness about the seriousness and urgency of acting to find solutions to the climate disruption problem by
- proposing a brilliant method of pricing fossil fuels
- helping each other with writing letters to newspapers and to community leaders
- following well-thought-out strategies for meetings with community leaders, including politicians, especially to encourage consensus on the urgent need to stem carbon emissions.
You will have opportunities to have your say.
We need more hands on deck because the task is enormous. Let's avoid the global hot house! 1.5 degrees will be very difficult, 2 degrees will be a disaster, present Paris commitments or 3 degrees is a catastrophe, business as usual could give us 12 degrees of warming if we lose sub-tropical cloud cover.
Our meetings are interesting and enjoyable, even though the underlying motive is serious and the involvement of people at the "grass-roots" level has never been more important.
No pressure. Just come for a short amusing video if you don't feel in a political mood.
Hoping to see you there!
A/Co-Convenors George Carrard and Brian Rees
Volunteers, Citizens’ Climate Lobby Australia www.ccl.org.au
We are creating Political Will to address Climate Change
George Carrard 0467004892 [email protected]
Brian Rees 0419973952 [email protected]
NSW Regional Coordinator Peter Todd 0414383350 [email protected]
Please do not hesitate to contact Membership Officer Howard Witt ([email protected] 0401590701) for more information about joining Citizens' Climate Lobby and options for involvement in our activities.
More suggestions for agenda:
- Progress on communicating with community leaders including politicians
- Help each other to write letters to community leaders
- Educate each other on the science and politics accelerating the transition to a fossil-free economy, and the urgent need for the acceleration.
- Exchange of ideas and experiences
- Information tables at fairs and shopping centres
- Phone contacts
- Show amusing video
All welcome to join Citizens' Climate Lobby. https://au.citizensclimatelobby.org/join-citizens-climate-lobby/?tfa_1=Australia
You won't be bombarded with emails. Engagement can be at any level.
You can follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/citizensclimatelobbyaustralia/, https://www.facebook.com/groups/CCL.australia/