** Two places left **
Join this exclusive Journey into Olkola Country for ACF supporters.
Be welcomed by Olkola Traditional Owners, who will share their culture and connection to country, and witness how your advocacy through ACF has contributed to their remarkable story. Run in conjunction with Intrepid Travel, this journey is a unique insight into Indigenous culture in Australia.
When: 1-6 August, 2016
Departs: Cairns, Qld
Group size: 10
- Be welcomed to Olkola country by its Traditional Owners during a traditional Olkola welcome ceremony
- Learn about the Olkola’s efforts to preserve their land and culture
- Search for the endangered Alwal (golden-shouldered parrot) near their termite-mound homes
- Go on guided walks with your Olkola hosts to learn about the area’s history and landscape
- Listen to traditional stories around a campfire
- Visit Aboriginal rock art and ceremonial grounds
Includes: Transport from Cairns to Olkola country and return, camping and all meals on Olkola country, guesthouse in Cooktown
Not included: Accommodation in Cairns on the last day of the trip*, dinner in Cooktown, sleeping bag while camping
TO BOOK: fill in your details in the RSVP section below and Intrepid Travel will soon contact you to confirm your booking and take payment. Once payment is made, ACF will email more details and welcome you on this very special journey.
Read the itinerary in more detail.
Read about last year's pilot trip.
ACF supporters with Olkola Land Manager Glen Kulka on last year's pilot Journey into Olkola Country. Photo courtesy of: ACF/Olkola
Flights to Cairns and accommodation at Acacia Court Hotel: Please ask the Intrepid Travel representative if you would like help booking flights and pre and post trip accommodation*.
Level of fitness: The trip will involve light walking/hiking. The terrain is not steep, but the ground may be uneven and we recommend the trip for people who are comfortable walking longer distances.
*As we depart Cairns early on the first day of the trip and arrive back in Cairns late on the last day, we recommend booking pre and post accommodation in Cairns.
Cairns, QLD 9870
Google map and directions
Add your thoughts