This is about an ONLINE meeting starting 7 pm on Tuesday 27 October at zoom.us/j/7868786878. Simply go to your computer or smart phone and paste or type zoom.us/j/7868786878 in the top window. If this is not satisfactory, you can use an ordinary phone by dialling 1800893423 or 0280156011 or 0370182005 or 0871501149, whichever is not busy, and quoting 7868786878 (78 68 78 68 78, three 78s and two 68s).
Australia is lagging behind other developed countries in dealing with global warming. However all is not bad. Our guest speaker, retired engineer Peter Todd, will explain to us in simple terms the positives in the federal Coalition’s Technology Investment Roadmap. If we are going send messages to community leaders about the urgency of transitioning to a low carbon economy, we need to understand what progress there is to build on. Let's capitalise on the good bits!
During the meeting, we introduce ourselves, tell of any good news, and long-time members explain to newcomers how Citizens' Climate Lobby advocacy for action on climate change complements protest demonstrations.
We will discuss plans for raising community awareness of actions that need to be taken to mitigate the looming climate catastrophe.
We entertain, educate and support each other in raising public awareness about the seriousness and urgency of acting to find solutions to the climate disruption problem by
- proposing a brilliant method of pricing fossil fuels
- helping each other with writing letters to newspapers and to community leaders
- form well-thought-out strategies for meetings with community leaders, including politicians, especially to encourage consensus on the urgent need to stem carbon emissions.
Our meetings are interesting and enjoyable, even though the underlying motive is serious and the involvement of people at the "grass-roots" level has never been more important.
Hoping to see you there!
Co-Convenor, South Sydney Chapter, Citizens Climate Lobby Australia, 0467004892 [email protected]
Co-Convenor Brian Rees 0419973952 [email protected]
Please do not hesitate to contact Membership Officer Howard Witt ([email protected] 0401590701) for more information about joining Citizens' Climate Lobby and options for involvement in our activities.
NSW Regional Coordinator Peter Todd 0414383350 [email protected]
More suggestions for agenda:
- Progress on communicating with community leaders including politicians at all levels of government
- Help each other to write letters to community leaders
- Information tables at fairs and shopping centres, including "Message your MP" forms
- Educate each other on the science and politics accelerating the transition to a fossil-free economy, and the urgent need for the acceleration.
- Exchange of ideas and experiences
- Phone contacts
- Show amusing video
All welcome to join Citizens' Climate Lobby. https://au.citizensclimatelobby.org/join-citizens-climate-lobby/?tfa_1=Australia You won't be bombarded with emails. Engagement can be at any level. You can follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/citizensclimatelobbyaustralia/, https://www.facebook.com/groups/CCL.australia/
We need more hands on deck because the task is enormous.
Scientists' recommendation of world average 1.5 degrees of warming above the pre-industrial level will still make life very difficult for our children. World average is currently 1.1 degrees; Australian average is 1.4 degrees.