January 28, 2020
7pm - 9pm
SMSA (Sydney Mechanics School of Arts)
280 Pitt St
between Bathurst St and Park St
Sydney, NSW 2000
See Google map »
I am pleased to announce that at our next city meeting we have a keynote speaker, Stav Zotalis, Head of Global Engagement at ActionAid Australia, who will tell us about just transitions to decarbonisation in poor countries, and cover the role of women.
At 7 pm we meet at SMSA (Sydney Mechanics School of Arts), 280 Pitt St between Bathurst St and Park St, next to bulk billing doctors and discount chemist. The room is Norman Selfe Room, Level 3 (check notice outside lift in the foyer in case of room change).
From 6 pm, all welcome to pre-meeting light meal at Cellini’s Café and Bar, Queen Victoria Building opposite Hobbyco Level 2 - look for Citizens' Climate Lobby T-shirts.
At a convenient time we introduce each other and, if possible, tell of any good news. Long-time members explain to newcomers how Citizens' Climate Lobby advocacy for action on climate change complements protest demonstrations.
We entertain, educate and support each other in raising public awareness about the seriousness and urgency of acting to find solutions to the climate disruption problem by
- proposing a brilliant method of pricing fossil fuels
- helping each other with writing letters to newspapers and to community leaders
- following well-thought-out strategies for meetings with community leaders, including politicians, especially to encourage consensus on the urgent need to stem carbon emissions.
You will have opportunities to have your say.
We need more hands on deck because the task is enormous. Let's avoid the global hot house! 1.5 degrees will be very difficult, 2 degrees will be a disaster, present Paris commitments or 3 degrees is a catastrophe, business as usual could give us 12 degrees of warming if we lose sub-tropical cloud cover.
Our meetings are interesting and enjoyable, even though the underlying motive is serious and the involvement of people at the "grass-roots" level has never been more important.
No pressure. Just come for the talk a short amusing video if you don't feel in a political mood.
Hoping to see you there!
A/Co-Convenors George Carrard and Brian Rees
Volunteers, Citizens’ Climate Lobby Australia www.ccl.org.au
We are creating Political Will to address Climate Change
George Carrard 0467004892 [email protected]
Brian Rees 0419973952 [email protected]
NSW Regional Coordinator Peter Todd 0414383350 [email protected]
Please do not hesitate to contact Membership Officer Howard Witt, [email protected] 0401590701, for more information about joining Citizens' Climate Lobby and options for involvement in our activities.
More suggestions for agenda:
- Implications of the wild fires made more probable, frequent, and intense by global warming
- Raising awareness of the public about global warming and encouraging people to think what they can do about getting political will
- Progress on communicating with community leaders including politicians
- Help each other to write letters to community leaders
- Think up slogans to match those of the politicians
- Educate each other on the science and politics accelerating the transition to a fossil-free economy, and the urgent need for the acceleration.
- Exchange of ideas and experiences
- Information tables at fairs and shopping centres
- Phone contacts
- Show amusing video
All welcome to join Citizens' Climate Lobby. https://au.citizensclimatelobby.org/join-citizens-climate-lobby/?tfa_1=Australia You won't be bombarded with emails. Engagement can be at any level. You can follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/citizensclimatelobbyaustralia/, https://www.facebook.com/groups/CCL.australia/