At the next monthly Tuesday meeting of Citizens’ Climate Lobby I am pleased to announce that we have a guest speaker, Mark Coure, member of the NSW Parliament Legislative Assembly for the NSW electoral district of Oatley. Mark will focus on environmental projects and initiatives against climate change in his electorate, and will touch on state-wide issues.
Mark is having a distinguished career in the NSW parliament. Among other positions, he is currently Assistant Speaker and a member of the Committee on the Independent Commission Against Corruption. Past positions include Chair of the Legislative Assembly Committee on Environment and Planning, and Chair of the Standing Committee on Parliamentary Privilege and Ethics.
During the meeting, we introduce ourselves, tell of any good news, and long-time members explain to newcomers how Citizens' Climate Lobby advocacy for action on climate change complements protest demonstrations.
We will discuss plans for raising community awareness of actions that need to be taken to mitigate the looming climate catastrophe.
We entertain, educate and support each other in raising public awareness about the seriousness and urgency of acting to find solutions to the climate disruption problem by
- proposing a brilliant method of pricing fossil fuels
- helping each other with writing letters to newspapers and to community leaders
- form well-thought-out strategies for meetings with community leaders, including politicians, especially to encourage consensus on the urgent need to stem carbon emissions.
Our meetings are interesting and enjoyable, even though the underlying motive is serious and the involvement of people at the "grass-roots" level has never been more important.
Hoping to see you there!
Convenor, Sydney Group, Citizens Climate Lobby Australia, 0467004892 firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not hesitate to contact Membership Officer Howard Witt (email@example.com 0401590701) for more information about joining Citizens' Climate Lobby and options for involvement in our activities.
NSW Regional Coordinator Peter Todd 0414383350 firstname.lastname@example.org
More suggestions for agenda:
- Progress on communicating with community leaders including politicians at all levels of government
- Help each other to write letters to community leaders
- Information tables at fairs and shopping centres, including "Message your MP" forms
- Educate each other on the science and politics accelerating the transition to a fossil-free economy, and the urgent need for the acceleration.
- Exchange of ideas and experiences
- Phone contacts
- Show amusing video
All welcome to join Citizens' Climate Lobby. ccl.org.au and press Join. You won't be bombarded with emails. Engagement can be at any level. You can follow us on Facebook facebook.com/citizensclimatelobbyaustralia/
We need more hands on deck because the task is enormous.
Scientists' recommendation of world average 1.5 degrees of warming above the pre-industrial level will still make life very difficult for our children. World average is currently 1.1 degrees; Australian average is 1.4 degrees.