All welcome to Southern Sydney group of Citizens' Climate Lobby which meets at Oatley RSL on the second Sunday of the month.
At 2:30 pm on Sunday 10 November we have a guest speaker: Project Manager Allan Brcic, who will tell us how his team of local residents lobbied Randwick Council in the lead-up to Council declaring a Climate Emergency.
Allan would like to share his experiences, which may be of benefit to constituents in other local districts who want a similar outcome.
Before the meeting at 1:15 pm all are also invited to share a light meal downstairs near the bar (good food). At 2:20 we go upstairs to the meeting.
Our aim encourage people to think about a just transition from fossil fuels; to get political will to deal with climate disruption, which is already with us; and to mitigate the threat of the looming climate catastrophe.
We support each other in the creation of ideas to promote alternative energy sources to accelerate the urgent need to reduce climate disruption by
- raising popular awareness of the need to act quickly on climate, in particular to get a just transition of employment in a carbon free economy
- helping each other with writing letters to newspapers and to community leaders
- meeting community leaders including captains of industry and politicians at all levels of government, following well-thought-out strategies for the meetings
- proposing a brilliant method of pricing fossil fuels
- encouraging declarations of climate emergency from all levels of government
- inviting experts to address us or talk with us
- outreach, including handing out Meet Your MP forms at community fairs
- educating each other on the science and politics accelerating the just transition to a fossil-free economy, and the urgent need for the acceleration.
- showing amusing videos
Our meetings are interesting and enjoyable, even though the underlying motive is serious and the involvement of people at the "grass-roots" level has never been more important.
We need more hands on deck because the task is enormous. Let's avoid the global hot house! 1.5 degrees will be very difficult, 2 degrees will be a disaster, present Paris commitments or 3 degrees is a catastrophe, business as usual could give us 12 degrees of warming if there is a break-up of the subtropical cloud belt that currently reflects back into space about 30 per cent of the sun’s light.
No pressure. Just come for a short film if you don't feel in a political mood.
See you there!
A/Convenor, Southern Suburbs Chapter Citizens’ Climate Lobby Australia
All welcome to join Citizens' Climate Lobby: go to the website www.ccl.org.au or https://au.citizensclimatelobby.org/ and press Join. You won't be bombarded with emails. Engagement can be at any level. You can follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/citizensclimatelobbyaustralia/ or https://www.meetup.com/Climate-Solutions-NSW/.