Urgent! The government has introduced a trio of laws which are a direct attack on democracy in Australia. Any day now, MPs will vote on one of them, the Espionage and Foreign Interference Bill.
We must raise our voices loud. Right now. We need to express our outrage, our refusal to allow such anti-democratic legislation ever becoming law in this country.
Call the Attorney-General and Shadow Attorney-General right now to demand they reject this draconian law.
Attorney-General Christian Porter – (02) 6277 7300
Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus – (02) 6277 4205
What to say
The Espionage and Foreign Interference Bill is anti-democratic and designed to make the Australian government less accountable to its people.
- This bill could bring criminal charges and severe penalties to charities and not-for-profits that are an essential part of a robust democracy. Individuals and groups should be free to hold the government to account without fear of prosecution or imprisonment.
- This bill is a clear overreach by our government. It is not acceptable, nor necessary, to trample the rights of Australians.
Ask Christian Porter: Will you kill this bill and go back to the drawing board consulting organisations, charities and other stakeholders to discuss the impacts and concerns?
Ask Mark Dreyfus: Will your kill this bill and remove bipartisan support because it erodes our democracy and ability to hold our government to account?
Find out more about these proposed laws.
- When you call, you might speak to a staffer. Ask them to leave a message for the Attorney-General or Shadow Attorney-General. If you can't get through, keep trying!
- Be polite and encouraging – we want them to make a good decision!
- Talk about why you care about this
- For more tips, check out this toolkit!